Church of John the Baptist in Ajdovščina
The church – presumably built in Late Antiquity on the site of an abandoned Roman cemetery – was first recorded in 1507. Rebuilt in the mid-18th century, its new face was the work of Anton Cebej, a renowned painter born in the hamlet of Šturje, which is today a part of Ajdovščina, on the left bank of the Hubelj River. Circa 1769, Cebej made three frescoes on the ceiling, and the Way of the Cross which is his piece de resistance in this church. Carefully restored in the 1990s, this tour de force ranks among the oldest and best known Baroque Ways of the Cross in the country.
Information: TIC Ajdovščina