Retracing the footsteps of a WW1 soldier
- Cerje memorial with its museum collections and magnificent views from the 25-metre tall monument
- Pečinka Cave – the outdoor museum provides the chance to explore the karst underground and is a part of the historic collection of the Walk of Peace from the Alps to the Adriatic
- visitors are escorted by a WW1 soldier to get a glimpse into an emotional war story; authentic army fare called merenda
- half-day trip (4 to 5 hours) available all days of the week upon prior booking at least 8 days in advance
- tour of the Peace Memorial in Cerje (movie, history and artwork collection, lookout tower), visit to the throne of Boroevič and Pečinka Cave, escorted by a WW1 soldier
- takes place if at least 2 people, maximum 15 people
- in bad weather, the tour of Pečinka Cave is replaced with the tour of the little WW1 museum in Opatje selo
- Cerjanka souvenir shop in the memorial
Listen to the tales from the Isonzo Front that left a permanent scar on the tranquil region of Karst in WW1. The movie War in Karst (1915–1918), which is played in the Peace Memorial of Cerje, takes you back to WW1. The stone memorial looks like a rook on the chessboard of Slovenia’s history, and offers a window into the past. On clear days, the observation platform offers a view stretching from the Alps to the Adriatic Sea. After viewing the throne of Boroević, a monumental piece dedicated to the Austrian-Hungarian commander who masterminded the unexpected defeat of the Italian army in what came to be dubbed the Miracle of Kobarid (12th Isonzo Battle), we will visit the mysterious underground world of Pečinka Cave. Option to take photos with soldiers in WW1 army garb, and getting a glimpse into the harsh reality of being a frontline soldier. We finish with a army-style pot meal (merenda), fresh from the cauldron over the open fire. The return to the Peace Memorial is also a return back to the present.
Restrictions and mandatory gear: jacket (cold in the cave) and hiking footwear; the cave is not wheelchair accessible.
- 2 persons: 110.00 € / person
- 6 persons: 55.00 € / person
- 8 persons: 38.00 € / person
Price includes: guided tour and animation, army-style menu with beverage, tickets.