Lazarist Monastery at Miren Castle
The Lazarist Monastery is set atop the elevation over the village of Miren, which came to be referred to as Miren Castle after the one-time castle, next to the Church of Our Lady of Sorrows. The earliest written accounts of a church devoted to Mary go back to 1392. Referred to as Our Lady under the Karst, the church was renovated several times up to the 18th century. The present church building was built in the second half of the 19th century. Destroyed during the First World War, the church was built from scratch in the years from 1924 to 1927. However, the Second World War did not spare it. The most recent of the massive restorations was launched in 1958. The entire church interior was furnished with frescoes and sculptures by Tone Kralj.
The Lazarists returned to Miren Castle in 1913. Ever since, they have taken it upon themselves to maintain the church, develop the popular pilgrimage centre on Miren Castle, and organize well-received social projects.