Kromberk Castle – where worlds meet
- Kromberk Castle is situated on the lovely hilly outskirts of the Vipava Valley, only a few kilometres from the centre of Nova Gorica.
- Built in the early 17th century, the castle was the main residence of the Coronini's until the 19th century.
- The castle is the main exhibition venue of the Regional museum Goriški muzej, and holds an impressive collection of visual artwork, and temporary archaeological, historical, ethnological and artistic exhibits.
Not to be missed
- The castle is open year round every day of the week except on Mondays and main holidays; opening hours are available here http://www.goriskimuzej.si/stalne-zbirke/grad-kromberk
- The admission for adults is €4.00. There are various discounts available.
- Public guided tours and guided tours for parties are subject to an extra fee.
Kromberk Castle was built in the early 17th century on the site of a former smaller castle building from the 13th century. Heavily damaged in both world wars, today the castle is partly reconstructed. The square footprint of the building features four corner towers, giving the impression of a fortification, despite never having a defensive function. The castle was initially the main, and later only the summer, residence of the Gorizia branch of the Corinini family which moved to this region in the mid-16th century from Berbenno near Bergamo.
The castle displays an art history collection illustrating the development of art in the region from the late Gothic to modernity. On display are late Gothic sacral wood sculptures, Baroque paintings and paintings from the 19th century, as well as a Gallery of 20th century artists from the Primorska region. The only surviving piece out of the original castle furnishings is a fragment of the altarpiece The Assumption of Mary by Neo-classicist painter Franc Kavčič, which was brought from the Vienna palace of the painter's patron Filip Cobenzl.
The castle is surrounded by a beautiful park with a Baroque fountain, lapidarium and outdoor amphitheatre that acts as the summer venue for cultural, artistic and other types of events.
Grajska cesta 1
5000 Nova Gorica