Lanthieri Mansion, Vipava
The main square in Vipava is dominated by the striking Baroque mansion built by the aristocratic Lanthieri family in 1659. For centuries, the mansion acted as an important administrative, cultural and social centre of the Upper Vipava Valley. It is advantageously positioned along a vital traffic route. The exquisite furnishings, lovely park and hospitality of his owners made the mansion a popular stop for 17th and 18th century luminaries, celebrated artists such as the Venetian comedy playwright Carlo Goldoni, and even sovereigns. Having been thoroughly renovated a few years ago, the mansion today houses the School for Viticulture and Enology, and other pedagogical and research programmes under the University of Nova Gorica. The mansion is open to viewings.
Information and guided tours: TIC Vipava
Viewings by appointment.